Opening session. March 13/2017
Presentation by UN Undersecretary General and Executive Director of UN Women
What we are up against; some statistics she provided.
• 2% GDP Investment into care economy just in 7 countries could create over 21 million jobs.
• More than 50% women workers around the world and up to 90% in some countries are informally employed.
• More than 150 countries have laws that discriminate against women.
• Changing the laws would affect more than 3 billion women and girls worldwide.
• Each year women work 3 months more than men for equivalent pay. Global pay gap average is 23%.
• 90% of future jobs estimated to need digital literacy.
• 200 million fewer women than men online.
• Advancing women’s equality could bring potential boost of $28 trillion to global GDP by 2025.
• Recommends applying “constructive impatience” to speed up implementation of 2030 agenda and not leaving anyone behind.
Submitted by Sophie Turner Zaretsky, 3/13/2017
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
The forum ‘CSW61 New York’ is closed to new topics and replies.