Form a Group
Starting a National Federation or Association
GWI welcomes new associations from countries where there is no existing national federation or association.
To qualify for GWI affiliation, a new group must:
- Be open to all eligible women graduates residing in the country, irrespective of ethnic group, nationality, political opinion, religion or sexual orientation.
- Support fully GWI’s mission and goals to promote lifelong education for women and girls; to promote international cooperation, friendship, peace and respect for human rights for all, irrespective of their gender, age, race, nationality, religion, political opinion, gender and sexual orientation or other status; to advocate for the advancement of the status of women and girls; and to encourage and enable women and girls to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all forms of public and private life.
- Be non-governmental, non-profit, non-partisan and non-religious.
- Admit to full membership only those women graduates with a qualification recognised by GWI from a university or educational institution of comparable standing.
- Have an organisational structure that is open and democratic.
- Offer an active programme of activities, such as community projects, advocacy efforts, workshops, seminars or research.
- Be ready to participate fully in the International Federation, including communicating regularly with GWI international leaders and office staff, exchanging information with other GWI national affiliates, participating in international meetings and meeting GWI financial obligations.
- GWI can only admit one national federation or association per country. If there is already an GWI affiliate in your country, please contact them directly to see how you can join or help to form a local branch.
- Before you start to form a new association, you must join GWI as an Independent Member. Please contact email@example.com so that we can assist you in this process.
For further information about forming a national affiliate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.